Monday, June 30, 2014

Prepper Pupil Focuses on Renewable Food Preps

Prepper Pupil Focuses on Renewable Food Preps

It has been a while and though I am not about to abandon the idea of stocking up on preserved food preps for renewable sources of food, I am now more focused on renewable food preps as a prepper pupil. Simply put I have become a farmer. I get protein from animals that can be grown in the backyard like chickens, rabbits, tilapia, golden snails and pigeons. Plant food like eggplants, chili, garlic, ginger, moringa, sweet potato, beans, okra, tomato, onion and many others have replaced ornamentals in the garden. The next on my priorities now would be some citrus and banana trees, plus, I am now planning on bigger animals like goats or pigs. This approach is not only cool for the environment but also sustainable if taken cared of properly.
Moringa - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa
If you have the resources it would be wise to get this underway alongside the other preps you are making and even if you don’t it does not need to be done in one big go. For me it took a while, I started with one moringa tree and initially it looked like it was a sickened tree because it was almost devoid of leaves (i kept taking too much while it was growing) - my bad. It did survive on to grow bigger and it was able to withstand the constant harvest and now there are 4 of them in the backyard with 3 of them grown from cuttings from the first one. I harvest the leaves as a good source of needed vitamins daily and some of which I dry and ground to a powder and I can add it to almost anything. Much of the harvested leaves have now become feed for the animals and they are healthier for it. In the beginning, the snails and the family shared in the harvest and it grew and grew until I cut and planted the second and third. After the fourth, there was just too much to go around, hence the plan for goats and pigs.

Maintenance of such a large backyard farm now takes me 5 hours on a good day to manage. Watering, feeding, harvesting these renewable food preps take a lot of work but one thing I have noticed is that I am healthier for it. I used to live a rather sedentary life before this and now I have lost weight and I feel healthier than ever before. My smoking, although I have not stopped yet, has also become considerably less, a pack a day has now become a couple or a few daily and that is something my family is thrilled about.

The wife is quite pleased because she now has fresh ingredients when she needs them. The thing here is she is still unable to do the butchering and that is still something we need to work on. A prepper, his prepper wife and their prepper children can’t be squeamish about things like this or else their survival might be compromised. I will let you know how its going - next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment